Feb 15, 2014

Denial.

“If I’m gonna suck a dick, I’m gonna swallow or what’s the point of all the work” - Camas
Somewhere along the way in the last 20 or so years kids became perfect. I’m not a parent and so I wasn’t at the meeting that day but it was decided that children (at least in these United States) are simply incapable of doing anything wrong.

I experienced this myself in my own family much to my chagrin but it is something I have seen exhibit itself repeatedly over the last few years with alarming frequency. It has less to do with the children themselves and more to do with parents who cannot recognize the simple reality that they in fact may well and truly suck at their job (parenting).

I came across this article:
Disturbing Twitter account for Wash. state school district is alleged student confessional
 

Among the hundreds of Tweets showcased by ‘Clark County Fession’ are alleged admissions of drug use, on- and off-campus sex and sexual relations between high school students and teachers. The account has grown to more than 5,200 followers and more than 1,660 disturbing and extremely graphic tweets.
Is it surprising?

No, not really. Can any of us think back to our youth and not recognize how much we were in fact up to without out parents knowledge? Or maybe what we were up to with their tacit denial?

So, this kind of thing is not really news per se. What is interesting is the shock and outrage over something that indeed is emblematic of youth.

Maybe the lesson here is for today’s set of parents.

No comments: